1. People who talk about suicide don’t really do it.
This is false as most people give some clue or warning.
2. Anyone who tries to kill themselves must be crazy.
This is not true. They may be upset, grief-stricken or depressed but extreme distress and emotional pain are not necessarily signs of mental illness.
3. People who commit suicide are people who are unwilling to seek help.
Not true; studies have shown that more than half had sought medical help within 6 months before their death.
4. Talking about suicide may give someone the idea.
Not true. The opposite is actually true as discussing it openly is often one of the most helpful things you can do.
5. People who commit suicide are just seeking attention
Not true. It is a cry for help. Never ignore a threat of suicide.
6. People who commit suicide are cowards
Not true. They do not really want to die. They just cant find another way to stop the emotional pain.
GET HELP! Talk to someone who will understand and not judge you. Do not be ashamed to ask for help.
It could be the BEST decision you ever make and one you will look back on and say “thank you”.