Script for peer educator talk
IT IS TIME TO STOP TB!
- The TB bacillus is spread through the air
- Every second someone in the world is newly infected with TB!
- 1 in every 3 people in the world are infected with the TB bacteria
- 6 – 8 million people are diagnosed with TB every year
- TB is an ancient disease and it can affect anyone, irrespective of their race, colour, or socio-economic status
- TB kills 8000 people every day
- TB is curable if you take the medication exactly as prescribed and for as long as it is prescribed
- TB sleeps in the body –but wakes up when the immune system is low – like poor nutrition, stress, cancer, and other sicknesses
- It is one of the most common infections for HIV positive people
- You do not have to get HIV to get active TB – TB affects anyone with a low immune system
- If you do not take your medicine – the TB becomes drug resistant and is more difficult to treat
- People on TB medication are not infectious unless they have MDR or XDR strain of TB
- Coughing for more than 3 weeks
- Coughing up blood or sputum
- Night sweats
- Poor appetite
- Chest pain when breathing or coughing
- Fatigue or muscle weakness
- Loss of weight
- Shortness of breath
- Use your hand to cover your mouth when coughing and sneezing – don’t spit!
- Wash your hands regularly during the day
- Good ventilation with open windows reduces the risk
- Good nutrition.
- 6 months on medicine
- Longer if TB becomes drug resistant
- If HIV positive the doctor might give you drugs to prevent you getting TB
- DOTS stands for “Directly observed Treatment Short course”
- Every second someone in the world is infected
- TB is preventable.
- TB is curable.
- You do not have to be a victim of TB
- You do not have to be one of those who are infected every second in the world
LET US WORK TOGETHER TO STOP TB
FIND OUT MORE ABOUT TB – ASK A PEER EDUCATOR!